Interested in Coaching Hockey in Surrey Minor Hockey Association?
All individuals who are interested in coaching with the Surrey Minor Hockey Association (SMHA) for the upcoming hockey season (2021-2022) are required to complete the Coaches’ Application Form – see links below. The SMHA Coaching Committee will review all applications and make offers for Head Coaching positions. Assistant Coaches on each team are chosen by the Head Coach. Each coach in the association is required to complete all certifications as required by both BC Hockey and Hockey Canada.
What Coaching Certifications do I require to coach in SMHA?
SMHA must follow BC Hockey’s Coaching Certification Requirements for each level of hockey. Please be aware that different levels of minor hockey may require different coaching certifications. If you are uncertain what you require for the age level that you are interested in coaching, please visit the BC Hockey Team Coaching Requirements page here.
What if I don’t have my Coaching Certification at the start of the season?
BC Hockey will begin running their coaching clinics again in the fall. If you apply to coach but do not have your coaching certification at the start of the season, that is ok. You can still begin coaching and register to take and complete your coaching clinic prior to December 1, 2021. SMHA will require confirmation of your registration at the start of the season. Please visit the Hockey Canada Clinics Information page here to locate and register for a course. If you do not complete the required courses prior to the deadline, SMHA will need to remove you from the team roster and your team will risk ineligibility for the remainder of the season.
Are there additional requirements that coaches, and team staff will need?
As per BC Hockey and Hockey Canada guidelines, all team official, regardless of their level, are required to hold the following valid course/certifications:
- Criminal Record Check (CRC). This is required every three years. There is no cost. To apply for your CRC, please submit online here. Please be sure to use the SMHA specific Access Code: 4NX4CF5GJG.
- Respect in Sports (RIS) – Activity Leader. This is required every five years. It is an online course that SMHA will reimburse you for provided you complete the course and you are rostered to a team. To register for the RIS course, visit here.
- Concussion Awareness Training Tool (CATT). Currently, there is no expiry date on this course. It is available online and is free. To register for CATT course, visit here.
- Planning a Safe Return to Hockey (PSRH). This new online course has become mandatory for all team officials since the beginning of last season. It is free and takes about 20 minutes. There is currently no expiry date. To register, visit here.
Each of the above requirements should be complete and in place prior to the start of the 2021-2022 hockey season. If you are uncertain as to which courses you have taken and/or their expiry dates, you can check on the Hockey Canada eHockey Website here or follow up with the SMHA Certifications Coordinator at email@example.com.
How do I apply to Coach in SMHA?
To apply to coach in SMHA, please click on the link below.
- New and returning U11 – U21 A1 Rep Coach Application Form – Deadline April 20, 2021
- New and returning U11 – U21 A2/A3 Rep Coach Application Form – Deadline May 15, 2021
- New and returning U6 – U21 C Coach Application Form – Deadline June 15, 2021
Link: COACHING APPLICATION
How the selection process works/what happens next?
- U11 – U21 A1 Rep Coach interviews to be scheduled for early May 2021
- U11 – U21 A2/A3 Rep Coach interviews to be scheduled for early June 2021
- U6 – U21 C Coach assignments to occur between July 1 -September 1, 2021
The SMHA Coaching Committee will be in touch with you to discuss the next steps of the process and set up an interview time. Having all certifications in place PRIOR to your interview is recommended. Should you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to follow up with Steve Gauthier at firstname.lastname@example.org or Shawn McMullin at email@example.com.
How do I go about getting reimbursed the cost of a course or certification?
If you take a coaching clinic or complete a required certification during the 2021-2022 hockey season and are rostered to a SMHA team, you will be reimbursed. Please save your receipt(s) and submit to the attention of the SMHA Certifications Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your submission, please include the following information:
- Name, Mailing Address, Phone Number, Email Address, Clinic Certificate of Completion, Dated Receipt.
The SMHA Treasurer will contact you when your cheque is ready. Please allow a minimum of 30-60 days for the cheque to be processed.
Thank you for your interest in coaching in Surrey Minor Hockey Association!